[openstack-dev] [Nova] [Cyborg] [Glance] Updated spec for Cyborg-Nova-Glance interaction, including os-acc

Nadathur, Sundar sundar.nadathur at intel.com
Fri Jun 22 15:06:49 UTC 2018

Hello folks,
The os-acc spec [1] has been updated substantially. Please review the
new version is https://review.openstack.org/#/c/577438/ .

The background for the update is that several important aspects were
raised as comments on the previous spec ([1], [2]). An alternative
workflow for attaching accelerators to instances was proposed [3], to
which I responded with [4] and [5]. Finally, with another IRC discussion
[6], it was concluded that the design/flow in [4], [5] fits the bill.
The new version of the os-acc spec incorporates that discussion.

The main points that were raised and addressed are these:

* Some architectures like Power treat devices differently. The os-acc
framework must provide for plugins to handle such variation. Done.

* The os-acc framework should be more closely patterned after the os-vif
framework and Neutron flow. This is a bit debatable since Neutron ports
and Cyborg accelerators differ in some key respects, though the os-acc
library can be structured like os-vif. I have attempted to compare and
contrast the os-vif and os-acc approaches.

This discussion is important because we may have programmable NICs based
on FPGAs. Then Cyborg, Neutron and Nova are going to get tangled in a
triangle. (If you throw Glance in for FPGA images, that leads quickly to
a quadrilateral. Add Cinder for storage-related FPGA devices, and we get
pulled into a pentagram. Geometry is scary. Just saying. ;-} )

* Not enough detail in [1]. Mea culpa. Hopefully fixed now.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/566798/

[2]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-nova/%23openstack-nova.2018-06-14.log.html#t2018-06-14T18:38:28

[3]