[openstack-dev] [kayobe] Kayobe update

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Fri Jun 22 13:32:59 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I thought it might be useful to start an irregular update on Kayobe,
covering recent and upcoming events. This follows on from the update blog
article [1] that I wrote a couple of months ago (which includes a video and
asciinema demo!).

# OpenStack-related

The switch to using OpenStack infrastructure was completed successfully,
and went relatively smoothly. The more thorough CI testing enabled by Zuul
has helped to increase confidence in new changes, and has caught a few bugs
that might previously have slipped through the net. We have a good baseline
of test coverage, but should continue working to ensure coverage continues
to improve.

# Queens & beyond

Kayobe tends to trail the OpenStack and Kolla release cycles somewhat,
largely driven by demand for new Kayobe features on stable OpenStack
releases. We recently added support support for deploying the Queens
release to the Kayobe master branch, and now enforce a stable policy on the
stable/pike branch. There is a patch [2] up to switch to master branches of
dependencies that allows us to keep on top of the required changes for
Rocky.

# Recently added features

* Custom Ansible playbooks [3] allow us to keep the core of Kayobe
relatively lightweight, while supporting arbitrary extensions.
* Automatic naming of bare metal compute nodes based on inventory & IPMI
address [4]
* Separate cleaning network for ironic [5]

# Upcoming features

* Deployment pipeline configuration [6] will provide enhancements to the
kayobe-config structure to support deploying to multiple environments
(think dev/staging/prod) from a single kayobe-config repository
* Ansible 2.5 support [7]
* Admin/SSH network [8] allows us to stop using the provisioning network
for SSH access
* Support for deploying Monasca [9] (most work is in kolla)

# Will Szumski

Based on Will's recent contributions to Kayobe, and how quickly he's come
up to speed, he's been added to kayobe-core. Congratulations Will!

As always, feel free to drop into IRC with questions: #openstack-kayobe

[1] http://www.stackhpc.com/kayobe-update.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/568804
[3] https://kayobe.readthedocs.io/en/latest/custom-ansible-playbooks.html
[4] https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2002176