[openstack-dev] [cinder] [placement] cinder + placement forum session etherpad

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Jun 15 14:00:05 UTC 2018

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018, Eric Fried wrote:

> We just merged an initial pass at direct access to the placement service
> [1].  See the test_direct suite for simple usage examples.
>
> Note that this was written primarily to satisfy the FFU use case in
> blueprint reshape-provider-tree [2] and therefore likely won't have
> everything cinder needs.  So play around with it, but please do not put
> it anywhere near production until we've had some more collab.  Find us
> in #openstack-placement.

Just to word this a bit more strongly (see also
http://p.anticdent.org/2nbF, where this is paraphrased from):

It would be bad news for cinder to start from placement direct. Better
would be for cinder to figure out how to use placement "normally", and
then for the standalone special case, consider placement direct or
something derived from it. PlacementDirect, as currently written,
is really for special cases only, for use in extremis only.