[openstack-dev] [nova] review runways check-in and feedback

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 21:33:34 UTC 2018

On 6/13/2018 3:33 PM, melanie witt wrote:

> We've been experimenting with a new process this cycle, Review Runways
> [1] and we're about at the middle of the cycle now as we had the r-2
> milestone last week June 7.
>
> I wanted to start a thread and gather thoughts and feedback from the
> nova community about how they think runways have been working or not
> working and lend any suggestions to change or improve as we continue on
> in the rocky cycle.
>
> We decided to try the runways process to increase the chances of core
> reviewers converging on the same changes and thus increasing reviews and
> merges on approved blueprint work. As of today, we have 69 blueprints
> approved and 28 blueprints completed, we just passed r-2 June 7 and r-3
> is July 26 and rc1 is August 9 [2].
>
> Do people feel like they've been receiving more review on their
> blueprints? Does it seem like we're completing more blueprints earlier?
> Is there feedback or suggestions for change that you can share?

Lots of cores are not reviewing stuff in the current runways slots,
which defeats the purpose of runways for the most part if the majority
of the core team aren't going to review what's in a slot.

Lots of people have ready-for-runways blueprint series that aren't
queued up in the runways etherpad, and then ask for reviews on those
series and I have to tell them, "throw it in the runways queue".

I'm not sure if people are thinking subteams need to review series that
are ready for wider review first, but especially for the placement
stuff, I think those things need to be slotted up if they are ready.
Just because it's in the queue doesn't mean interested parties can't
review it. I've seen things in queue get merged before they hit a slot,
and that's fine.

I personally would also like to see stuff in the queue so I can get a
better idea of what is being worked on and what's ready, especially as
we wind down into the 3rd milestone and we're going to start crunching
for major deliverables that aren't yet done. Speaking just for myself,
I've got a bit of anxiety going on right now because I have a feeling we
have several major efforts that still need to get done for Rocky and
they aren't getting the proper focus from the majority of the team (the
nested resource provider migration stuff and handling a down cell are
the major ones on my list).

Having said that, it's clear from the list of things in the runways
etherpad that there are some lower priority efforts that have been
completed probably because they leveraged runways (there are a few
xenapi blueprints for example, and the powervm driver changes).

Matt