[openstack-dev] [tc] [summary] Organizational diversity tag

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jun 12 12:05:31 UTC 2018

Neil Jerram wrote:
>>     The issue is that the current method (which uses a formula to apply
>>    single-vendor and diverse-affiliation tags) is not working so well
>>    anymore, with lots of low-activity projects quickly flapping between
>>    states.
>
> I think you need to explore and state much more explicitly why this is a
> problem, before you will be able to evaluate possible changes.

Right, this was just a summary, we discussed it in more details in the
thread and during that Forum session.

For example, a single-vendor project would suddenly lose the tag due to
a combination of low activity and infra people pushing boilerplate
change to their test jobs. Yet the project is still very much
single-vendor (and not seeing much activity).

The way we ended up working around that in past cycles is by doing a
human pass on the calculated results and assess whether the change is
more of a data artifact due to low activity, or a real trends. If it was
deemed an artifact, we'd not commit that change. But lately most of the
changes had to be filtered by a human, which basically makes the
calculation useless.

>>     One important thing to remember is that the diversity tags are supposed
>>    to inform deployers, so that they can make informed choices on which
>>    component they are comfortable to deploy. So whatever we come up with,
>>    it needs to be useful information for deployers, not just a badge of
>>    honor for developers, or a statement of team internal policy.
>
> It sounds like this might be part of that 'why'.  How sure are you about it?

How sure am I about... what? That tags are meant to be useful to
deployers and the rest of our downstream consumers ? That is part of the
original definition[1] of a tag. The template to define tags even
includes a "rationale" section that is meant to justify how the
ecosystem benefits from having this tag defined.

[1]
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20141202-project-structure-reform-spec.html#provide-a-precise-taxonomy-to-help-navigating-the-ecosystem

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)