[openstack-dev] use of storyboard (was [TC] Stein Goal Selection)

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jun 12 08:00:16 UTC 2018

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
> The release team used to (help) manage the launchpad series data.
> We stopped doing that a long time ago, as Jeremy pointed out, because
> it was not useful to *the release team* in the way we were managing
> the releases. We stopped tracking blueprints and bug fixes to try
> to predict which release they would land in and built tools to make
> it easier for teams to declare what they had completed through
> release notes instead.
> [...]

A bit more historical context around that.

Launchpad has a design flaw in how it uses milestones and series. Those
are used both for pre-milestone planning (what you planned to do) and
post-milestone reporting (what actually landed). Since what you plan to
do never ends up being what you actually do, using the same fields to
track both creates subtle issues. Trust me, I spent my early OpenStack
years fighting that discrepancy and trying to provide a "release
manager" view of OpenStack with it. As OpenStack grew, the amount of
work needed went up and the quality of the result went down.

The solution is to use separate tools. Git history and reno are the only
accurate way to track what landed. The task tracker should only do
pre-milestone planning.

Then, what's the best way to track progress toward a milestone ?
Launchpad was clearly not the best tool, otherwise we would not have
random etherpads with lists of Launchpad links around release candidate
time, or people tracking progress in external Trellos. A lot of people
wanted more than just binary indicators like tags and milestone targeting.

Storyboard is designed to let you use tags, or lists, or boards,
whatever the team finds convenient to organize the work. Don't get me
wrong, it's not perfect, and it still has much more rough edges than I'd
like. But at least it has the potential to become what we need. It
doesn't try to do more than it should.

It's also worth repeating it is a task tracker, not a product management
tool. So yes, you are missing the consistent views of "progress" and
"what's landed" across all of OpenStack. But as Jeremy and Doug
mentioned, the reality is that we bailed on providing that view through
Launchpad a long time ago.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)