[openstack-dev] [tc][ptl][python3][help-wanted] starting work on "python 3 first" transition

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Jun 7 20:25:47 UTC 2018

On 06/06/2018 10:14 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> On 06/06/2018 03:04 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> I have started submitting a series of patches to fix up the tox.ini
>> settings for projects as a step towards running "python3 first"
>> [1]. The point of doing this now is to give teams a head start on
>> understanding the work involved as we consider whether to make this
>> a community goal.
>
> I would ask that you stop.
>
> While I think this is useful as a quick way of finding out which projects
> will require additional work here and which don't, this is just creating
> a lot of work and overlap.
>
> Some teams are not ready to take this on right now. So unless you are
> planning on actually following through with making the failing ones work,
> it is just adding to the set of failing patches in their review queue.
>
> Other teams are already working on this and working through the failures
> due to the differences between python 2 and 3. So these just end up being
> duplication and a distraction for limited review capacity.

Sean,

Reading these words is very much disappointing to me.

I very much like the coordination work that Doug is engaging into, and
it'd be very frustrating if some projects were refusing to clean their
technical debt regarding Python 3 support.

As I wrote in my mail to Doug, the biggest issue I've seen is projects
not really setting their functional tests under real world conditions.
Anyone pushing in that direction should be warmly welcomed

At some point, this should be a top priority so we all get rid of this
transition work once and for all, without having that one annoying
project that is still lagging behind (see how I'm *not* naming anyone on
purpose...).

If you're not happy about the way Doug is doing, just make it happen the
way you prefer. As long as it's done soon, everyone will be happy.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)