[openstack-dev] [tc][ptl][python3][help-wanted] starting work on "python 3 first" transition

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 13:35:54 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 16:04 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> I have started submitting a series of patches to fix up the tox.ini
> settings for projects as a step towards running "python3 first"
> [1]. The point of doing this now is to give teams a head start on
> understanding the work involved as we consider whether to make this
> a community goal.
>
> The current patches are all mechanically generated changes to the
> basepython value for environments that seem to be likely candidates.
> They're basically the "easy" part of the transition. I've left any
> changes that will need more discussion alone for now.
>
> In particular, I've skipped over any tox environments with "functional"
> in the name, since I thought those ran functional tests. Teams will
> need to decide whether to change those job definitions, or duplicate
> them and run them under python 2 and 3. Since we are not dropping
> python 2 support until the U cycle, I suggest going ahead and running
> the jobs twice.
>
> Note that changing the tox settings won't actually change some of the
> jobs. For example, with our current PTI definition, the documentation
> and releasenotes jobs do not run under tox. That means those will need
> to be changed by editing the zuul configuration for the repository.
>
> I have started to make notes for tracking the work in
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/python3-first -- including some notes
> about taking the next step to update the zuul job definitions and common
> issues we've already encountered to help folks debug job failures.
>
> I could use some help keeping an eye on these changes and getting
> them through the gate. If you are interested in helping, please
> leave a comment on the review you are willing to shepherd.
>
> Doug

I banged through nearly everything I could +2/+W this morning (mostly
stuff under the oslo or nova teams' remit). I saw very few issues and
no failing CIs so it was mostly a case of sanity checking and
approving.

If anyone is seeing issues with their "docs" target, feel free to give
me a shout (IRC: stephenfin) as we had to work through similar issues
in nova not too long ago. It's amazing where monkey patching will get
you :)

Stephen