[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible][releases][governance] Change in OSA roles tagging

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Tue Jun 5 08:14:12 UTC 2018

Hello,

*TL:DR;* If you are an openstack-ansible user, consuming our roles directly,
with tags, without using openstack-ansible plays or integrated repo,
then things will change for you. Start using git shas instead of tags.
All other openstack-ansible users should not see a difference, even if
they use openstack-ansible tags.

During the summit, I had a discussion with dhellman (and smcginnis)
to change how openstack-ansible does its releases.

Currently, we tag openstack-ansible + many roles under our umbrella
every two weeks. As far as I know, nobody requested to have roles
tagged every two weeks. Only OpenStack-Ansible need to be tagged
for consumption. Even people using our roles directly outside
openstack-ansible generally use sha for roles. We don't rely on
ansible galaxy.

Because there is no need to tag the roles, there is no need to make them
part of the "openstack-ansible" deliverable [1][2]. I will therefore
clarify the governance repo for that, separating the roles, each of them
with their own deliverable, instead of grouping some roles within
openstack-ansible, and some others outside it.

With this done, a release of openstack-ansible becomes straightforward
using the standard release tooling. The releases of openstack-ansible
becomes far simpler to request, review, and will not have timeouts
anymore :p

There are a few issues I see from the change. Still according to the
discussion, it seems we can overcome those.

1. As this will be applied on all the branches, we may reach some
issues with releasing in the next days. While the validate tooling
of releases has shown me that it wouldn't be a problem (just
warning) to not have all the repos in the deliverable, I would
expect a governance change could be impactful.
However, that is only impacting openstack-ansible, releases,
and governance team: Keep in mind, openstack-ansible will not
change for its users, and will still be tagged as you know it.

2. We will keep branching our roles the same way we do now. What
we liked for roles being part of this deliverable, is the ability
of having them automatically branched and their files adapted.
To what I heard, it is still possible to do so, by having a
devstack-like behavior, which branches on a sha, instead of
branching on tag. So I guess it means all our roles will now be
part of release files like this one [3], or even on a single release
file, similar to it.

What I would like to have, from this email, is:
1. Raise awareness to all the involved parties;
2. Confirmation we can go ahead, from a governance standpoint;
3. Confirmation we can still benefit from this automatic branch
tooling.

Thank you in advance.

Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)

[1]: https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/8215c5fd9b464b332b310bbb767812fefc5d9174/reference/projects.yaml#L2493-L2540