[openstack-dev] [tc] Organizational diversity tag

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Sat Jun 2 18:14:10 UTC 2018

On 06/02/2018 12:23 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2018-06-01 15:19:46 -0400:
>> On 01/06/18 12:18, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>> Is that rule a sign of a healthy team dynamic, that we would want
>>> to spread to the whole community?
>> Yeah, this part I am pretty unsure about too. For some projects it
>> probably is. For others it may just be an unnecessary obstacle, although
>> I don't think it'd actually be *un*healthy for any project, assuming a
>> big enough and diverse enough team (which should be a goal for the whole
>> community).
> It feels like we would be saying that we don't trust 2 core reviewers
> from the same company to put the project's goals or priorities over
> their employer's.  And that doesn't feel like an assumption I would
> want us to encourage through a tag meant to show the health of the
> project.

I have to agree. In general, I have tried to at least give the opportunity
for other cores from other companies to review patches before approving,
but there have been times where I have approved patches in Cinder where
the only other +2 was someone from the same company.

I don't see anything wrong with this in most cases. As an exceptional
example, I'm actually happy to see two +2's from Red Hat cores on
Ceph related patches.

I think it's a good thing to encourage a mix, but I have never considered
it a hard and fast rule.