[openstack-dev] [cinder] [placement] cinder + placement forum session etherpad

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Sat Jun 2 00:28:01 UTC 2018

On Wed, 9 May 2018, Chris Dent wrote:

> I've started an etherpad for the forum session in Vancouver devoted
> to discussing the possibility of tracking and allocation resources
> in Cinder using the Placement service. This is not a done deal.
> Instead the session is to discuss if it could work and how to make
> it happen if it seems like a good idea.
>
> The etherpad is at
>
>    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-cinder-placement

The session went well. Some of the members of the cinder team who
might have had more questions had not been able to be at summit so
we were unable to get their input.

We clarified some of the things that cinder wants to be able to
accomplish (run multiple schedulers in active-active and avoid race
conditions) and the fact that this is what placement is built for.
We also made it clear that placement itself can be highly available
(and scalable) because of its nature as a dead-simple web app over a
database.

The next steps are for the cinder team to talk amongst themselves
and socialize the capabilities of placement (with the help of
placement people) and see if it will be suitable. It is unlikely
there will be much visible progress in this area before Stein.

See the etherpad for a bit more detail.