[openstack-dev] [tc] Fast-track: Remove Stable branch maintenance as a project team

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Jul 27 05:49:08 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:54:52PM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 7/26/2018 4:37 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> > I'd be curious to hear more about why you don't think that tag is maintained.
>
> Are projects actively applying for the tag?
>

> > For projects that assert they follow stable policy, in the relase process we
> > have extra scrutiny that nothing is being released on stable branches that
> > would appear to violate the stable policy.
>
> Is this automated somehow and takes the tag specifically into account, e.g.
> some kind of validation that for projects with the tag, a release on a
> stable branch doesn't have something like "blueprint" in the commit message?
> Or is that just manual code review of the change log?

Manual review of the changelog.  For project that assert the tag the
list-changes job prints a big banner to get the attention of the
release managers[1].  Those reviews need a +2 from me (or Alan) *and* a
+2 from a release manager.

I look at the commit messages and where thing look 'interesting' I go
do code reviews on the backport changes.  It isn't ideal but IMO it's
far from unmaintained.

If you had ideas on automation we could put in place to make this more
robust, without getting in the way I'm all ears[2]

Yours Tony.

[1] http://logs.openstack.org/42/586242/1/check/releases-tox-list-changes/af61e24/job-output.txt.gz#_2018-07-26_15_30_07_144206
[2] Well not literally but I am listening ;P