[openstack-dev] Lots of slow tests timing out jobs

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Wed Jul 25 06:46:54 UTC 2018

 ---- On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 05:15:53 +0900 Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > While going through our uncategorized gate failures [1] I found that we
 > have a lot of jobs failing (161 in 7 days) due to the tempest run timing
 > out [2]. I originally thought it was just the networking scenario tests,
 > but I was able to identify a handful of API tests that are also taking
 > nearly 3 minutes each, which seems like they should be moved to scenario
 > tests and/or marked slow so they can be run in a dedicated tempest-slow job.
 >
 > I'm not sure how to get the history on the longest-running tests on
 > average to determine where to start drilling down on the worst
 > offenders, but it seems like an audit is in order.

yeah, there are many tests taking too long time. I do not know the reason this time but last time we did audit for slow tests was mainly due to ssh failure.
I have created the similar ethercalc [3] to collect time taking tests and then round figure of their avg time taken since last 14 days from health dashboard. Yes, there is no calculated avg time on o-h so I did not take exact avg time its round figure.

May be 14 days  is too less to take decision to mark them slow but i think their avg time since 3 months will be same. should we consider 3 month time period for those ?

As per avg time, I have voted (currently based on 14 days avg) on ethercalc which all test to mark as slow. I taken the criteria of >120 sec avg time.  Once we have more and more people votes there we can mark them slow.

[3] https://ethercalc.openstack.org/dorupfz6s9qt

-gmann