[openstack-dev] [tripleo] prototype with standalone mode and remote edge compute nodes

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 11:09:33 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 4:20 AM Giulio Fidente <gfidente at redhat.com> wrote:
[...]

> I have started experimenting with edge deployments to help out on the
> split-controplane spec [1], which Steven started addressing
>
> I was able to deploy multiple stacks and isolated Ceph clusters, there
> are some bits missing to provision a working configuration for
> nova-compute to the edge services, but we could probably collect/export
> the necessary outputs from the parent stack (eg. rabbit connection
> infos) and feed the edge stacks with those.

Indeed, I faced the exact same problems. I could hardcode the rabbit
password and memcache IP via hieradata extraconfig, James showed
me AllNodesExtraMapData done via https://review.openstack.org/#/c/581080/
which I'll probably give a try.
However I couldn't set keystone url for nova / neutron (they are taken from
ServiceNetMap).
James pointed out to me this patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/521929/
- Do you think we should re-use the service net map from the central node,
on the edge compute node?

A much bigger challenge seems to me that for some services (eg. glance
> or cinder) we need to "refresh" the configuration of the controlplane
> nodes to push the details of the newly deployed ceph clusters (backends)
> of the edge nodes as backends for the controlplane services.

Yeah I thought about this one too but I didn't have this challenge since I
just wanted nova-compute & neutron-ovs-agent running on the edge.

Alternatively, we could opt for the deployment of cinder-volume
> instances on the edge nodes, but we would still have the same problem
> for glance and possibly other services.

For now the only thing I see is to manually update the config on the
central node and run the deployment again, which should reconfigure the
containers.

I'd like to discuss further this topic at the PTG to gether more
> feedback so I added a bullet to the pad with the Stein PTG topics [2].

It would be awesome to spend time on this topic! Thanks for bringing this
blueprint up! Indeed I hope we'll make progress on this one at the PTG,
which is why I sent this email really early to groom some ideas.

> 1. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/split-controlplane
> 2. https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-ptg-stein

Emilien Macchi