[openstack-dev] [tripleo] New "validation" subcommand for "openstack undercloud"

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 15:32:26 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 11:27 AM Cédric Jeanneret <cjeanner at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dear Stackers,
>
> In order to let operators properly validate their undercloud node, I
> propose to create a new subcommand in the "openstack undercloud" "tree":
> `openstack undercloud validate'
>
> This should only run the different validations we have in the
> undercloud_preflight.py¹
> That way, an operator will be able to ensure all is valid before
> starting "for real" any other command like "install" or "upgrade".
>
> Of course, this "validate" step is embedded in the "install" and
> "upgrade" already, but having the capability to just validate without
> any further action is something that can be interesting, for example:
>
> - ensure the current undercloud hardware/vm is sufficient for an update
> - ensure the allocated VM for the undercloud is sufficient for a deploy
> - and so on
>
> There are probably other possibilities, if we extend the "validation"
> scope outside the "undercloud" (like, tripleo, allinone, even overcloud).
>
> What do you think? Any pros/cons/thoughts?

I think this command could be very useful. I'm assuming the underlying
implementation would call a 'heat stack-validate' using an ephemeral
heat-all instance. If so way we implement it for the undercloud vs the
'standalone' use case would likely be a bit different. We can probably
subclass the implementations to share common code across the efforts
though.

For the undercloud you are likely to have a few extra 'local only'
validations. Perhaps extra checks for things on the client side.

For the all-in-one I had envisioned using the output from the 'heat
stack-validate' to create a sample config file for a custom set of
services. Similar to how tools like Packstack generate a config file
for example.

Dan