[openstack-dev] [tripleo] New "validation" subcommand for "openstack undercloud"

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 15:27:08 UTC 2018

Dear Stackers,

In order to let operators properly validate their undercloud node, I
propose to create a new subcommand in the "openstack undercloud" "tree":
`openstack undercloud validate'

This should only run the different validations we have in the
undercloud_preflight.py¹
That way, an operator will be able to ensure all is valid before
starting "for real" any other command like "install" or "upgrade".

Of course, this "validate" step is embedded in the "install" and
"upgrade" already, but having the capability to just validate without
any further action is something that can be interesting, for example:

- ensure the current undercloud hardware/vm is sufficient for an update
- ensure the allocated VM for the undercloud is sufficient for a deploy
- and so on

There are probably other possibilities, if we extend the "validation"
scope outside the "undercloud" (like, tripleo, allinone, even overcloud).

What do you think? Any pros/cons/thoughts?

Cheers,

C.

¹
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-tripleoclient/tree/tripleoclient/v1/undercloud_preflight.py