[openstack-dev] [oslo][oslo.log] JSON logs are missing the request ID

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jan 18 17:14:13 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2018-01-18 11:45:28 -0500:
> Excerpts from Saverio Proto's message of 2018-01-18 14:49:21 +0100:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > well this oslo.log library looks like a core thing that is used by
> > multiple projects. I feel scared hearing that bugs opened on that
> > project are probably just ignored.
> >
> > should I reach out to the current PTL of OSLO ?
> > https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/projects.yaml#L2580
> >
> > ChangBo Guo are you reading this thread ? Do you think this is a bug or
> > a missing feature ? And moreover is really nobody looking at these
> > oslo.log bugs ?
>
> The Oslo team is small, but we do pay attention to bug reports. I
> don't think this issue is going to rise to the level of "drop what
> you're doing and help because the world is on fire", so I think
> Sean is just encouraging you to have a little patience.
>
> Please do go ahead and open a bug and attach (or paste into the
> description) an example of what the log output for your service looks
> like.
>
> Doug

Earlier in the thread you mentioned running the newton versions of
neutron and oslo.log. The newton release has been marked end-of-life
and is not supported by the community any longer. You may find
support from your vendor, but if you're deploying on your own we'll
have to work something else out. If we determine that this is a bug
in the newton version of the library I won't have any way to give
you a new release because the branch is closed.

It should be possible for you to update just oslo.log to a more
recent (and supported), although to do so you would have to get the
package separately or build your own and that may complicate your
deployment.

More recent versions of the JSON formatter change the structure of
the data to include the entire context (including the request id)
in a separate key.  Are you updating to newton as part of upgrading
further than that?  If so, we probably want to wait to debug this
until you hit the latest supported version you're planning to deploy,
in case the problem is already fixed there.

Doug