[openstack-dev] [kuryr][os-vif][nova] os-vif 1.8.0 breaks kuryr-kubernetes

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 17:30:13 UTC 2018

On 01/15/2018 11:45 AM, mdulko at redhat.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> os-vif commit [1] introduced a non-backward compatible change to the
> Subnet object - removal of ips field. Turns out kuryr-kubernetes were
> depending on that e.g. here [1] and we're now broken with os-vif 1.8.0.
>
> kuryr-kubernetes is saving the VIF objects into the K8s resources
> annotations, so to keep backwards compatibility we need
> VIFBase.obj_make_compatible able to backport the data back into the
> Subnet object. Or be able to load the older data to the newer object.
> Anyone have an advice how we should proceed with that issue?

It would have been great to know kuryr-kubernetes was saving/using these
objects :) as mentioned on the original os-vif code review, the
versioned objects in os-vif have yet to be used in over-the-wire
communication nor have they been saved to a backing data store by Nova
or Neutron. Thus, we haven't bothered with the obj_make_compatible()
stuff yet.

If we had known there was a non-Nova non-Neutron client of os-vif, of
course we would have been tracking changes using obj_make_compatible().

That said, even if we *were* using obj_make_compatible() and allowing
for the backversioning of object formats, that would not have magically
enabled kuryr-kubernetes to work with our objects without modification.
kuryr-kubernetes would still need to do the dance of telling os-vif
somehow what version of the objects that it expects to be given. This is
what all the infrastructure in oslo.versionedobject's client-server
negotiation does and it's non-trivial.

Bottom line, we can straight revert the os-vif patch in question
(because it's really just a cleanup), release os-vif 1.8.1 by the cutoff
on Thursday and "fix" kuryr-kubernetes. However, we will want to have a
call with you guys to tell you exactly how to do the versioning
negotiation that you will now need to do since you're storing these
objects somewhere.

Best,
-jay