[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Thu Jan 4 17:23:34 UTC 2018

Greetings OpenStack community,

Happy new year to all and welcome to the first API-SIG meeting of 2018.
As the SIG is ramping back up after the holiday break we had a few
topics to kick off the new year and get the ball rolling.

The SIG is working to complete our year in review report that will be
collected and distributed by the OpenStack foundation. Without spoiling
the report, 2017 was a year of steady progress for the SIG with several
efforts aimed at improving interoperability and expanding the
inclusiveness of the group.

Graham Hayes(mugsie) shared his in-progress work[7][8] towards
generating machine readable output for API schemas. This is a topic that
the SIG has studied in the past and that continues to generate interest
from the community. At the core of this issue is the idea that if a
project can provide API schemas in a common format with their
documentation then the job of SDK implementors and other integrators
will be greatly eased. If you have thoughts or opinions on this topic,
please review mugsie's proposals and add your input.

Monty Taylor(mordred) has been investigating how pagination is
implemented across the OpenStack ecosystem. It appears that there are
several differing implementations that exist and this is causing some
friction in the SDK development process. Although there is already a
guideline about pagination, the SIG is examining how best they can help
projects move towards consistency in this area and will continue to
discuss solutions in the next meeting.

* The list of bugs [5] indicates several missing or incomplete guidelines.
* The existing guidelines [2] always need refreshing to account for
changes over time. If you find something that's not quite right, submit
a patch [6] to fix it.
* Have you done something for which you think guidance would have made
things easier but couldn't find any? Submit a patch and help others [6].

# Newly Published Guidelines

None this week.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

None this week

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and
service discovery
   Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready
for review)
   https://review.openstack.org/444892

* WIP: Add API-schema guide (still being defined)
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524467/

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API SIG about APIs that
you are developing or changing, please address your concerns in an email
to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the
subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links,
and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you
are facing.

To learn more about the API SIG mission and the work we do, see our wiki
page [4] and guidelines [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!