[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, February 9th

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Feb 9 10:57:26 UTC 2018

Hi!

This is the weekly summary of Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of all open topics (updated twice a week) at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

If you are working on something (or plan to work on something)
governance-related that is not reflected on the tracker yet, please feel
free to add to it !

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Goal updates: neutron, vitrage
* New repo: ansible-role-k8s-cinder

Not much got approved this week, as the focus is on Queens release
candidate and PTG preparation.

== PTG preparation ==

The Dublin PTG will start in 17 days ! The schedule is now frozen at:

https://www.openstack.org/ptg#tab_schedule

That said, we have lots of openly-reservable rooms for last-minute
topics or continuing discussions beyond the allocated time.

Track leads have set up a number of etherpads to openly brainstorm what
to discuss. You can find those (or link to missing ones) here:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PTG/Rocky/Etherpads

== Rocky goals ==

The most consensual set of goals for the Rocky cycle is still:
* Remove mox [1] (chandankumar)
* Enable toggling DEBUG option at runtime [2] (gcb)

Those will be approved on Tuesday unless new objections are posted that
result in TC members changing their votes.

As a reminder, the other proposed goals were:

* Storyboard Migration [3] (diablo_rojo)
* Ensure pagination links [4] (mordred)
* Add Cold upgrades capabilities [5] (masayuki)

Additionally, dhellmann proposed using StoryBoard to track goals[6].
This also has majority support and will be approved on Tuesday unless
new objections are posted.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/532361
[2] https://review.openstack.org/534605
[3] https://review.openstack.org/513875
[4] https://review.openstack.org/532627
[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533544/
[6] https://review.openstack.org/534443

== Voting in progress ==

Monty proposed a resolution to dedicate the Queens release to the memory
of Shawn Pearce. This is still a few votes short:

https://review.openstack.org/541313

== Under discussion ==

A new project team was proposed to regroup people working on PowerVM
support in OpenStack. It is similar in many ways to the WinStackers team
(working on Hyper-V / Windows support). Please comment on the review at:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/540165/

The discussion started by Graham Hayes to clarify how the testing of
interoperability programs should be organized in the age of add-on
trademark programs is still going on, now on an active mailing-list
thread. Please chime in to inform the TC choice:

https://review.openstack.org/521602
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/126146.html

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

In preparation for the PTG we need to do the final selection of
post-lunch presentations, proposed on:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/dublin-PTG-postlunch

We also need to start collecting topics of discussion for the TC track:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PTG-Dublin-TC-topics

Finally we need to start the S release naming process. pabelanger
volunteered to lead that, and will push a release_naming.rst change
proposing dates and geographic area for the name choices.

== Office hours ==

To be more inclusive of all timezones and more mindful of people for
which English is not the primary language, the Technical Committee
dropped its dependency on weekly meetings. So that you can still get
hold of TC members on IRC, we instituted a series of office hours on
#openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

For the coming week, I expect discussions to be around final Rocky goal
selection and PTG prep.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)