[openstack-dev] [all][Kingbird]Multi-Region Orchestrator

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 00:33:20 UTC 2018

Goutham, comments inline...

Also, FYI, using HTML email with different color fonts to indicate
different people talking is not particularly mailing list-friendly. For
reasons why, just check out your last post:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/126842.html

You can't tell who is saying what in the mailing list post...

Much better to use non-HTML email and demarcate responses with the
traditional > marker. :)

OK, comments inline below.

On 01/31/2018 01:17 PM, Goutham Pratapa wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> Thanks for the questions.. :)
>
> What precisely do you mean by "resources" above ??
>
> Resources as-in resources required to boot-up a vm (Keypair, Image,
> Flavors )

Gotcha. Thanks for the answer.

> Also, by "syncing", do you mean "replicating"? The reason I ask is
> because in the case of, say, VM "resources", you can't "sync" a VM
> across regions. You can replicate its bootable image, but you can't
> "sync" a VM's state across multiple OpenStack deployments.
>
> Yes as you said syncing as-in replicating only.

Gotcha. You could, of course, actually use synchronous (or semi-sync)
replication for various databases, including Glance and Keystone's
identity/assignment information, but yes, async replication is just as good.

> and yes we cannot sync vm's across regions but our idea is to
> sync/replicate all the parameters required to boot a vm

OK, sounds good.

> (viz. *image, keypair, flavor*) which are originally there in the source
> region to the target regions in a single-go.

Gotcha.

Some questions on scope that piqued my interest while reading your
response...

Is Kingbird predominantly designed to be the multi-region orchestrator
for OpenStack deployments that are all owned/operated by the same
deployer? Or does Kingbird have intentions of providing glue services
between multiple fully-independent OpenStack deployments (possibly
operated by different deployers)?

Further, does Kingbird intend to get into the multi-cloud (as in AWS,
OpenStack, Azure, etc) orchestration game?

> I'm curious what you mean by "resource management". Could you elaborate
> a bit on this?
>
> Resource management as-in managing the resources i.e say a user has a
> glance image(*qcow2 or ami format*) or
> say flavor(*works only if admin*) with some properties or keypair
> present in one source regionand he wants the same image or
> same flavor with same properties or the same keypair in another set of
> regions user may have to recreate them in all target regions.
>
> But with the help of kingbird you can do all the operations in a single go.
>
> --> If user wants to sync a resource of type keypair he can replicate
> the keypair into multiple target regions in single go (similarly glance
> images and flavors )
> --> If user wants different type of resource( keypair,image and flavor)
> in a single go then user can  give a yaml file as input and kingbird
> replicates all resources in all target regions

OK, I understand your use case here, thanks.

It does seem to me, however, that if the intention is *not* to get into
the multi-cloud orchestration game, that a simpler solution to this
multi-region OpenStack deployment use case would be to simply have a
global Glance and Keystone infrastructure that can seamlessly scale to
multiple regions.

That way, there'd be no need for replicating anything.

I suppose what I'm recommending it that instead of the concept of a
region (or availability zone in Nova for that matter) being a
mostly-configuration option thing, that the OpenStack contributor
community actually work to make regions (the concept that Keystone
labels a region; which is just a grouping of service endpoints) the one
and only concept of a user-facing "partition" throughout OpenStack.

That way we would have OpenStack services like Glance, Nova, Cinder,
Neutron, etc just *natively* understand which region they are in and
how/if they can communicate with other regions.

Sometimes it seems we (as a community) go through lots of hoops working
around fundamental architectural problems in OpenStack instead of just
fixing those problems to begin with. See: Nova cellsv1 (and some of
cellsv2), Keystone federation, the lack of a real availability zone
concept anywhere, Nova shelve/unshelve (partly developed because VMs and
IPs were too closely coupled at the time), the list goes on and on...

Anyway, mostly just rambling/ranting... just food for thought.

Best,
-jay