[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Aug 21 16:38:41 UTC 2018

So, nova's worried about having to be in the boat many of us have been in where they depend on another project not recognizing their important use cases? heh...

ok, so, yeah. that is a legitimate concern. You need someone like the TC to be able to step in, in those cases to help sort that kind of issue out. In the past, the TC was not willing to do so. My gut feeling though is that is finally changing. This is a bigger problem then just Nova, so getting a proper procedure in place to handle this is really important for OpenStack in general. Lets solve that rather then one offing a solution by keeping placement under Nova's control.

How do I say this nicely.... Better to talk about it instead of continuing to ignore the hard issues I guess. Nova has been very self centered compared to other projects in the tent. This thread feels like more of the same. If OpenStack as a whole is to get healthier, we need to stop having selfish projects and encourage ones that help each other.

I think splitting out placement from Nova's control has at least two benefits
1. Nova has complained a lot about having too much code so they can't take other projects requests. This reduces Nova's code base so they can focus on their core functionality, and more importantly, their users use cases. This will make OpenStack as a whole, healthier.
2. It reduces Nova's special project status leveling the playing field a bit. Nova can help influence the TC to solving difficult cross project problems along with the rest of us rather then going off and doing things on their own.

Thanks,
Kevin