[openstack-dev] [TripleO] podman: varlink interface for nice API calls

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 08:38:02 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 10:48 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/15/2018 04:01 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:31 PM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com
>> <mailto:emilien at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     More seriously here: there is an ongoing effort to converge the
>>     tools around containerization within Red Hat, and we, TripleO are
>>     interested to continue the containerization of our services (which
>>     was initially done with Docker & Docker-Distribution).
>>     We're looking at how these containers could be managed by k8s one
>>     day but way before that we plan to swap out Docker and join CRI-O
>>     efforts, which seem to be using Podman + Buildah (among other things).
>>
>> I guess my wording wasn't the best but Alex explained way better here:
>>
>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-08-15.log.html#t2018-08-15T17:56:52
>>
>> If I may have a chance to rephrase, I guess our current intention is to
>> continue our containerization and investigate how we can improve our tooling
>> to better orchestrate the containers.
>> We have a nice interface (openstack/paunch) that allows us to run multiple
>> container backends, and we're currently looking outside of Docker to see how
>> we could solve our current challenges with the new tools.
>> We're looking at CRI-O because it happens to be a project with a great
>> community, focusing on some problems that we, TripleO have been facing since
>> we containerized our services.
>>
>> We're doing all of this in the open, so feel free to ask any question.
>

> I appreciate your response, Emilien, thank you. Alex' responses to Jeremy on
> the #openstack-tc channel were informative, thank you Alex.
>
> For now, it *seems* to me that all of the chosen tooling is very Red Hat
> centric. Which makes sense to me, considering Triple-O is a Red Hat product.

Just as a point of clarification - TripleO is an OpenStack project,
and yes there is a downstream product derived from it, but we could
e.g support multiple container backends in TripleO if there was
community interest in supporting that.

Also I think Alex already explained that fairly clearly in the IRC
link that this is initially about proving our existing abstractions
work to enable alternate container backends.

Thanks,

Steve