[openstack-dev] [TripleO] podman: varlink interface for nice API calls

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 21:48:58 UTC 2018

On 08/15/2018 04:01 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:31 PM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com
> <mailto:emilien at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     More seriously here: there is an ongoing effort to converge the
>     tools around containerization within Red Hat, and we, TripleO are
>     interested to continue the containerization of our services (which
>     was initially done with Docker & Docker-Distribution).
>     We're looking at how these containers could be managed by k8s one
>     day but way before that we plan to swap out Docker and join CRI-O
>     efforts, which seem to be using Podman + Buildah (among other things).
>
> I guess my wording wasn't the best but Alex explained way better here:
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-08-15.log.html#t2018-08-15T17:56:52
>
> If I may have a chance to rephrase, I guess our current intention is to
> continue our containerization and investigate how we can improve our
> tooling to better orchestrate the containers.
> We have a nice interface (openstack/paunch) that allows us to run
> multiple container backends, and we're currently looking outside of
> Docker to see how we could solve our current challenges with the new tools.
> We're looking at CRI-O because it happens to be a project with a great
> community, focusing on some problems that we, TripleO have been facing
> since we containerized our services.
>
> We're doing all of this in the open, so feel free to ask any question.

I appreciate your response, Emilien, thank you. Alex' responses to
Jeremy on the #openstack-tc channel were informative, thank you Alex.

For now, it *seems* to me that all of the chosen tooling is very Red Hat
centric. Which makes sense to me, considering Triple-O is a Red Hat product.

I don't know how much of the current reinvention of container runtimes
and various tooling around containers is the result of politics. I don't
know how much is the result of certain companies wanting to "own" the
container stack from top to bottom. Or how much is a result of technical
disagreements that simply cannot (or will not) be resolved among
contributors in the container development ecosystem.

Or is it some combination of the above? I don't know.

What I *do* know is that the current "NIH du jour" mentality currently
playing itself out in the container ecosystem -- reminding me very much
of the Javascript ecosystem -- makes it difficult for any potential
*consumers* of container libraries, runtimes or applications to be
confident that any choice they make towards one of the other will be the
*right* choice or even a *possible* choice next year -- or next week.
Perhaps this is why things like openstack/paunch exist -- to give you
options if something doesn't pan out.

You have a tough job. I wish you all the luck in the world in making
these decisions and hope politics and internal corporate management
decisions play as little a role in them as possible.

Best,
-jay