[openstack-dev] [nova][searchlight][designate][telemetry][mistral][blazar][watcher][masakari]Possible deprecation of Nova's legacy notification interface

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 19:10:08 UTC 2018

On 8/9/2018 1:30 PM, Graham Hayes wrote:
> You could just send the deprecation notice, and we could deprecate
> designate-sink if no one came forward to update it - that seems fairer
> to push the burden on to the people who actually use the feature, not
> other teams maintaining legacy stuff. Does that seem overly harsh?

It's harsh depending on my mood the day you ask me. :) Nova has done
long-running deprecations for things that we know we don't want people
building on, like nova-network and cells v1. And then we've left those
around for a long time while we work on whatever it takes to eventually
drop them. I think we could do the same here, and designate-sink could
log a warning once on startup or something that says, "This service
relies on the legacy nova notification format which is deprecated and
being replaced with the versioned notification format. Removal is TBD
but if you are dependent on this service/feature, we encourage you to
help work on the transition for designate-sink to use nova versioned
notifications." I would hold off on doing that until after we've
actually agreed to deprecate the legacy notifications at the PTG.

Matt