[openstack-dev] [nova][searchlight][designate][telemetry][mistral][blazar][watcher][masakari]Possible deprecation of Nova's legacy notification interface

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Thu Aug 9 18:30:25 UTC 2018

On 09/08/2018 15:27, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 8/9/2018 8:44 AM, Graham Hayes wrote:
>> Designate has no plans to swap or add support for the new interface in
>> the near or medium term - we are more than willing to take patches, but
>> we do not have the people power to do it ourselves.
>>
>> Some of our users do use the old interface a lot - designate-sink
>> is quite heavily embeded in some workflows.
>
> This is what I suspected would be the answer from most projects.
>
> I was very half-assedly wondering if we could write some kind of
> translation middleware library that allows your service to listen for
> versioned notifications and translate them to legacy notifications. Then
> we could apply that generically across projects that don't have time for
> a big re-write while allowing nova to drop the legacy compat code (after
> some period of deprecation, I was thinking at least a year).
>
> It should be pretty simple to write a dumb versioned->unversioned
> payload mapping for each legacy notification, but there might be more
> sophisticated ways of doing that using some kind of schema or template
> instead. Just thinking out loud.

I have no objection to that - and I wish we had the people to move to
the new formats - I know maintaining legacy features like this is
extra work no-one needs.

Thinking out loud ....

You could just send the deprecation notice, and we could deprecate
designate-sink if no one came forward to update it - that seems fairer
to push the burden on to the people who actually use the feature, not
other teams maintaining legacy stuff. Does that seem overly harsh?