[openstack-dev] Paste unmaintained

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Aug 7 14:57:59 UTC 2018

On 08/02/2018 04:27 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> The last I heard, a few years ago Ian moved away from Python to
> JavaScript as part of his work at Mozilla. The support around
> paste.deploy has been sporadic since then, and was one of the reasons
> we discussed a goal of dropping paste.ini as a configuration file.
>
> Do we have a real sense of how many of the projects below, which
> list Paste in requirements.txt, actually use it directly or rely
> on it for configuration?
>
> Doug
>
> $ beagle search --ignore-case --file requirements.txt 'paste[><=! ]'
> +----------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+------+--------------------+
> | Repository                             | Filename                                               | Line | Text               |
> +----------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+------+--------------------+
> | airship-armada                         | requirements.txt                                       |    8 | Paste>=2.0.3       |
> | airship-deckhand                       | requirements.txt                                       |   12 | Paste # MIT        |
> | anchor                                 | requirements.txt                                       |    9 | Paste # MIT        |
> | apmec                                  | requirements.txt                                       |    6 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | barbican                               | requirements.txt                                       |   22 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | cinder                                 | requirements.txt                                       |   37 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | congress                               | requirements.txt                                       |   11 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | designate                              | requirements.txt                                       |   25 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | ec2-api                                | requirements.txt                                       |   20 | Paste # MIT        |
> | freezer-api                            | requirements.txt                                       |    8 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | gce-api                                | requirements.txt                                       |   16 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | glance                                 | requirements.txt                                       |   31 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | glare                                  | requirements.txt                                       |   29 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | karbor                                 | requirements.txt                                       |   28 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> | kingbird                               | requirements.txt                                       |    7 | Paste>=2.0.2 # MIT |
> [...]

Doug,

That's nice to have direct dependency, but this doesn't cover
everything. If using uwsgi, if you want any kind of logging from the
wsgi application, you need to use pastescript, which itself runtimes
depends on paste. So, anything which potentially has an API also depends
indirectly on Paste.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)