[openstack-dev] [all][tc] final stages of python 3 transition

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Apr 26 14:27:31 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 04:54:46PM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> It's time to talk about the next steps in our migration from python
> 2 to python 3.
>
> [...]
>
> 2. Change (or duplicate) all functional test jobs to run under
>    python 3.

As a test I ran Cinder functional and unit test jobs on bionic using 3.6. All
went well.

That made me realize something though - right now we have jobs that explicitly
say py35, both for unit tests and functional tests. But I realized setting up
these test jobs that it works to just specify "basepython = python3" or run
unit tests with "tox -e py3". Then with that, it just depends on whether the
job runs on xenial or bionic as to whether the job is run with py35 or py36.

It is less explicit, so I see some downside to that, but would it make sense to
change jobs to drop the minor version to make it more flexible and easy to make
these transitions?