[openstack-dev] [all][tc] final stages of python 3 transition

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Apr 26 13:58:31 UTC 2018

On 04/25/2018 11:40 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> It may be worth considering how this interacts with the switch of
> our default test platform from Ubuntu 16.04 (which provides Python
> 3.5) to 18.04 (which provides Python 3.6). If we switch from 3.5 to
> 3.6 before we change most remaining jobs over to Python 3.x versions
> then it gives us a chance to spot differences between 3.5 and 3.6 at
> that point.

I don't think you'll find lots of issues, as all Debian and Gentoo
packages were built against Python 3.6, and hopefully, prometheanfire
and myself have reported the issues.

> So I guess that raises the question: switch to Python 3.5 by default
> for most jobs in Rocky and then have a potentially more disruptive
> default platform switch with Python 3.5->3.6 at the beginning of
> Stein, or wait until the default platform switch to move from Python
> 2.7 to 3.6 as the job default? I can see some value in each option.

I'd love to see gating on both Python 3.5 and 3.6 if possible.

Also, can we restart the attempts (non-voting) gating jobs with Debian
Sid? That's always were we get all updates first.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)