[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 18-17

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Apr 24 12:35:23 UTC 2018

HTML: https://anticdent.org/tc-report-18-17.html

The main TC-related activity over the past week has been the
[elections](https://governance.openstack.org/election/) currently in
progress. A quiet campaigning period burst into late activity with a
series of four questions posted in email by Doug Hellman:

* [campaign question related to new
   projects](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129622.html)
* [How "active" should the TC
   be?](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129658.html)
* [How should we handle projects with overlapping feature
   sets?](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129661.html)
* [How can we make  contributing to OpenStack
   easier?](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129664.html)

I feel we should be working with these sorts of questions and
conversations more frequently. There are many good ideas and
observations in the threads.

Voting continues until the end of the day on April 30th. If you're
eligible to vote, please do. You should receive an email with the
subject "Poll: Rocky TC Election" that includes a link to vote. If
you feel you are eligible but did not receive a link contact the
[election
officials](https://governance.openstack.org/election/#election-officials).

Acknowledgement that OpenStack needs to make some changes, and
willingness to consider new options is evident in the above emails.
These are interesting times and your vote will help drive change.

Through the week there have been many different bits of conversation
related to the election. [Scan the
logs](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/index.html)
to get all the details.

There have been a few other topics throughout the week.

# Python 3

There's been [some
discussion](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-04-17.log.html#t2018-04-17T11:56:56)
on how to proceed with the migration to Python 3, including [a
review](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/561922/) to allow projects
to choose to only support Python 3. There are some differences of
opinion on this, some of which are driven by positions on the extent
to which the upstream OpenStack community should adapt its schedule
to the velocity of downstreams (in this case, RHEL).

# Kolla K8s

The fate of the kolla-kubernetes repo remained a big topic of
conversation. More people are getting involved, leading to some more
informed decisions. See discussion on
[Wednesday](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-04-18.log.html#t2018-04-18T12:31:35)
(including quite a bit about the use of containers in OpenStack, for
OpenStack) and
[Thursday](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-04-19.log.html#t2018-04-19T15:01:03)

# Next

If I get elected to another term on the TC I plan to continue
writing these weekly reports, and even if not I'll endeavor to keep
track of things and report on the highlights, but perhaps less
regularly.  However, for the next two weeks there will be no
reporting: my brother is visiting and I'm going to take some time
off with him to walk around and think about something besides
OpenStack. I'll pick things back up in mid-May.