[openstack-dev] ​ [mistral] timeout and retry

Vitalii Solodilov mcdkr at yandex.ru
Mon Apr 23 22:00:17 UTC 2018

Hi Renat, Can you explain me and Dougal how timeout policy should work with retry policy?

I guess there is bug right now.
The behaviour is something like this https://ibb.co/hhm0eH
Example: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/563759/
Logs: http://logs.openstack.org/59/563759/1/check/openstack-tox-py27/6f38808/job-output.txt.gz#_2018-04-23_20_54_55_376083
Even we will fix this bug and after task timeout we will not retry task. I don't understand which problem is decided by this timeout and retry.
Other problem. What about task retry? I mean using mistral api. The problem is that timeout delayed calls was not created.

IMHO the combination of these policies should work like this https://ibb.co/fe5tzH
It is not a timeout per action because when task retry it move to some complete state and then back to RUNNING state. And it will work fine with with-items policy.
The main advantage is executor and rabbitmq HA. I can specify small timeout if executor will die the task retried by timeout and create new action.
The second is predictable behaviour. When I specify timeout: 10 and retry.count: 5 I know that will be create maximum 5 action before SUCCESS state and every action will be executes no longer than 10 seconds.

--
Best regards,

Vitalii Solodilov