[openstack-dev] [nova] Do we need bp/list-show-all-server-migration-types?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 20:38:09 UTC 2018

Looking over the things in the runways queue [1], excluding the zVM
driver (because I'm not sure what the status is on that thread), the

I know this has been approved since Pike, but I wanted to raise some
questions again [3] about whether or not we actually need this.

Looking at the spec, the problem description is totally tied to the
abort in-progress cold migration blueprint [4] which we haven't agreed
to do. We talked about that blueprint at the PTG in Dublin and the
action item [5] was for Takashi to follow up in the mailing list (dev
and operators) to determine if that is functionality people actually
need. I haven't seen that happen yet.

If we aren't going to add the ability to abort a cold migration, I'm not
sure why we need list-show-all-server-migration-types. The use case in
the spec is something an admin can do today with the GET /os-migrations
API [6]. That should at least be an alternative in the spec.

So beyond being a dependency to abort an in-progress cold migration,
what would be the other reasons for
list-show-all-server-migration-types? Because if that is the only thing,
I think it likely should be held up and dependent on [4] being approved,
otherwise I feel it's churn for little gain. If there are other reasons
for this beyond a dependency for abort cold migration, the spec should
likely be updated to clearly indicate what they are.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-runways-rocky
[2]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/rocky/approved/list-show-all-server-migration-types.html
[3]