[openstack-dev] [tc] campaign question: How can we make contributing to OpenStack easier?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Apr 23 16:50:31 UTC 2018

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018, Tim Bell wrote:

> One of the challenges in the academic sector is the time from
> lightbulb moment to code commit. Many of the academic resource
> opportunities are short term (e.g. PhDs, student projects,
> government funded projects) and there is a latency in current
> system to onboard, get the appropriate recognition in the
> community (such as by reviewing other changes) and then get the
> code committed.  This is a particular problem for the larger
> projects where the patch is not in one of the project goal areas
> for that release.

This. Many times over this.

The latency that a casual contributor may experience when
interacting with one of the larger OpenStack projects is
discouraging and a significant impedance mismatch for the
contributor.

One thing that might help is what I implied in one of my responses
elsewhere in Doug's collection of questions: Professional OpenStack
developers could be oriented towards enabling and attending to
casual contributors more than addressing feature development. This
is a large shift in how OpenStack is done, but makes sense in a
world where we are trying to maintain an existing and fairly mature
thing: We need maintainers.