[openstack-dev] [nova] Heads up for out-of-tree drivers: supports_recreate -> supports_evacuate

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 16:27:48 UTC 2018

On 4/19/2018 11:06 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
> I'm ambivalent, tbh, but I think it's better to pick one. I thought
> we'd picked 'evacuate' based on the TODOs from Matt R:
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/compute/manager.py#n2985
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/compute/manager.py#n3093
>
> Incidentally, this isn't at all core to what I'm working on, but I'm
> about to start poking it and thought I'd tidy up as I go (as is my
> wont). If there's discussion to be had I don't mind dropping this and
> moving on.

For reference, I started this rolling ball:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/508190/

The internal 'recreate' argument to rebuild was always a thorn in my
side so I renamed it to evacuate because that's what the operation is
called in the API, how it shows up in bug reports, and how we talk about
it in IRC. We don't talk about the "recreate" operation, we talk about
evacuate.

Completely re-doing the end-user API experience with evacuate and
rebuild including internal plumbing changes is orthogonal to this
cleanup IMO because we can do the cleanup now to avoid existing
maintainer confusion rather than hold it up for something that no one is
working on.

Matt