[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] Problems with Openstack services while migrating VMs

Periyasamy Palanisamy periyasamy.palanisamy at ericsson.com
Tue Apr 17 13:07:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate controller and compute VMs installed with Openstack-Ansible across systems with following approach.
This is mainly to minimize the deployment time in the Jenkins CI environment.

Export steps:

  1.  Power off the VMs gracefully.
  2.  virsh dumpxml ${node} > $EXPORT_PATH/${node}.xml
  3.  cp /var/lib/libvirt/images/${node}.qcow2 $EXPORT_PATH/$node.qcow2
  4.  create a tar ball for the xml's and qcow2 images.

Import steps:

  1.  cp ${node}.qcow2 /var/lib/libvirt/images/
  2.  virsh define ${node}.xml
  3.  virsh start ${node}

After the import of the VMs, The openstack services (neutron-server, DHCP agent, Metering agent, Metadata agent, L3 agent, Open vSwitch agent, nova-conductor and nova-comute) are started in random order.
This causes neutron and nova is not able to find DHCP agent and compute accordingly to bring up the tenant VM and throws the error [1].

I have also tried to boot compute VM followed by controller VM. It also doesn't help.
Could you please let me know what is going wrong here ?

[1] https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/YNg2NnjvpS/ (fault section)

Thanks,
Periyasamy