[openstack-dev] [horizon][plugins] Improve Horizon testing

Ivan Kolodyazhny e0ne at e0ne.info
Wed Apr 11 18:58:22 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Let me introduce my proposal about Horizon testing improvements[1]. We
started this discussion at the last PTG [2] and had a good conversation at
the previous meeting [3].

The idea is simple: to have CI that verifies Horizon changes across
supported plugins. As a side-effect of this activity, we'll have a list of
maintained and supported plugins per each release. For now, we have
a static list in Horizon Install Guide only [4]

We don't have Selenium-based tests now. the selenium-headless job always
reports
success. Integration tests are totally broken and we even don't run them on
gates. We need to fix selenium-headless job and integration tests too.

It would be great to have new gate job per each plugin per any
Horizon code change to be sure that we don't break anything. The same job
with
plugin-specific selenium or integration tests should be executed against
each
Horizon plugin's change request.

To make this happen, we need to fix horizon's selenium and integration
tests first. One of the first steps is to get rid of nose from Horizon and
plugins. Initially, I tried to use Django Test Runner but XMLTestRunner [5]
looks better for me because of it generates a report in xunit format.
Ideally, it would be great to use pytest for it, but it requires more
efforts now. stestr requires some work to get it working with Django too.

I know that Horizon team already introduced some new things in Rocky which
require action from plugins developers like moving to Mock (it's one of the
community goals for this release for all projects) and support
Django<2.0,>=1.11. That's why I'm ready to help plugins with test runner
migration and propose a patch for each plugin in a list [4].

Since it's supposed to be a cross-project activity, I would like to get
feedback from Horizon Plugins developers.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/improve-horizon-testing
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/horizon-ptg-rocky
[3]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/horizon/2018/horizon.2018-04-04-20.01.log.html#l-25