[openstack-dev] Following the new PTI for document build, broken local builds

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 14:52:46 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-04-06 at 08:02 -0500, Sean McGinnis wrote:

> > > How can we enable warning_is_error in the gate with the new PTI? It's
> > > easy enough to add the -W flag in tox.ini for local builds, but as you
> > > say the tox job is never called in the gate. In the gate zuul checks for
> > > it in the [build_sphinx] section of setup.cfg:
> > >
> > > https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/zuul-jobs/tree/roles/sphinx/library/sphinx_check_warning_is_error.pyLovel#n23
> > >
> > > [...]
> >
> > I'd be more in favour of changing the zuul job to build with the '-W'
> > flag. To be honest, there is no good reason to not have this flag
> > enabled. I'm not sure that will be a popular opinion though as it may
> > break some projects' builds (correctly, but still).
> >
> > I'll propose a patch against zuul-jobs and see what happens :)
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> I am in favor of this too. We will probably need to give some teams some time
> to get warnings fixed though. I haven't done any kind of extensive audit of
> projects, but from a few I looked through, there are definitely a few that are
> not erroring on warnings and are likely to be blocked if we suddenly flipped
> the switch and errored on those.
>
> This is a legitimate issue though. In Cinder we had -W in the tox docs job, but
> since that is no longer being enforced in the gate, running "tox -e docs" from
> a fresh clone of master was failing. We really do need some way to enforce this
> so things like that do not happen.

This. While forcing work on teams to do busywork is undeniably A Very
Bad Thing (TM), I do think the longer we leave this, the worse it'll
get. The zuul-jobs [1] patch will probably introduce some pain for
projects but it seems like inevitable pain and we're in the right part
of the cycle in which to do something like this. I'd be willing to help
projects fix issues they encounter, which I expect will be minimal for
most projects.

Stephen

[1] https://review.openstack.org/559348