[openstack-dev] Following the new PTI for document build, broken local builds

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Fri Apr 6 13:02:06 UTC 2018

> > How can we enable warning_is_error in the gate with the new PTI? It's
> > easy enough to add the -W flag in tox.ini for local builds, but as you
> > say the tox job is never called in the gate. In the gate zuul checks for
> > it in the [build_sphinx] section of setup.cfg:
> >
> > https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/zuul-jobs/tree/roles/sphinx/library/sphinx_check_warning_is_error.py#n23
> >
> > [...]
>
> I'd be more in favour of changing the zuul job to build with the '-W'
> flag. To be honest, there is no good reason to not have this flag
> enabled. I'm not sure that will be a popular opinion though as it may
> break some projects' builds (correctly, but still).
>
> I'll propose a patch against zuul-jobs and see what happens :)
>
> Stephen

I am in favor of this too. We will probably need to give some teams some time
to get warnings fixed though. I haven't done any kind of extensive audit of
projects, but from a few I looked through, there are definitely a few that are
not erroring on warnings and are likely to be blocked if we suddenly flipped
the switch and errored on those.

This is a legitimate issue though. In Cinder we had -W in the tox docs job, but
since that is no longer being enforced in the gate, running "tox -e docs" from
a fresh clone of master was failing. We really do need some way to enforce this
so things like that do not happen.