[openstack-dev] Fwd: [tripleo] PTG session about All-In-One installer: recap & roadmap

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Thu Apr 5 16:55:36 UTC 2018

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 at 12:25 Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Much of the work on this is already there. We've been using this stuff
>> for over a year to dev/test the containerization efforts for a long
>> time now (and thanks for your help with this effort). The problem I
>> think is how it is all packaged. While you can use it today it
>> involves some tricks (docker in docker), or requires you to use an
>> extra VM to minimize the installation footprint on your laptop.
>>
>> Much of the remaining work here is really just about packaging and
>> technical debt. If we put tripleoclient and heat-monolith into a
>> container that solves much of the requirements problems and
>> essentially gives you a container which can transform Heat templates
>> to Ansible. From the ansible side we need to do a bit more work to
>> mimimize our dependencies (i.e. heat hooks). Using a virtual-env would
>> be one option for developers if we could make that work. I lighter set
>> of RPM packages would be another way to do it. Perhaps both...
>> Then a smaller wrapper around these things (which I personally would
>> like to name) to make it all really tight.
>

> So if I summarize the discussion:
>
> - A lot of positive feedback about the idea and many use cases, which is
> great.
>
> - Support for non-containerized services is not required, as long as we
> provide a way to update containers with under-review patches for developers.

Hrm..  I was just speaking to Alfredo about this.  We may need to have a
better understanding of the various ecosystems where TripleO is in play
here to have a fully informed decision.
By ecosystem I'm referring to RDO, centos, and upstream and the containers
used in deployments.  I suspect a non-containerized deployment may still be
required, but looking for the packaging team to weigh in.