[openstack-dev] Fwd: [tripleo] PTG session about All-In-One installer: recap & roadmap

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Apr 5 16:24:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:

Much of the work on this is already there. We've been using this stuff
> for over a year to dev/test the containerization efforts for a long
> time now (and thanks for your help with this effort). The problem I
> think is how it is all packaged. While you can use it today it
> involves some tricks (docker in docker), or requires you to use an
> extra VM to minimize the installation footprint on your laptop.
>
> Much of the remaining work here is really just about packaging and
> technical debt. If we put tripleoclient and heat-monolith into a
> container that solves much of the requirements problems and
> essentially gives you a container which can transform Heat templates
> to Ansible. From the ansible side we need to do a bit more work to
> mimimize our dependencies (i.e. heat hooks). Using a virtual-env would
> be one option for developers if we could make that work. I lighter set
> of RPM packages would be another way to do it. Perhaps both...
> Then a smaller wrapper around these things (which I personally would
> like to name) to make it all really tight.

So if I summarize the discussion:

- A lot of positive feedback about the idea and many use cases, which is
great.

- Support for non-containerized services is not required, as long as we
provide a way to update containers with under-review patches for developers.

- We'll probably want to breakdown the "openstack undercloud deploy"
process into pieces
* start an ephemeral Heat container
* create the Heat stack passing all requested -e's
* run config-download and save the output

And then remove undercloud specific logic, so we can provide a generic way
to create the config-download playbooks.
This generic way would be consumed by the undercloud deploy commands but
also by the new all-in-one wrapper.

- Speaking of the wrapper, we will probably have a new one. Several names
were proposed:
* openstack tripleo deploy
* openstack talon deploy
* openstack elf deploy

- The wrapper would work with deployed-server, so we would noop Neutron
networks and use fixed IPs.

- Investigate the packaging work: containerize tripleoclient and
dependencies, see how we can containerized Ansible + dependencies (and
eventually reduce them at strict minimum).

Let me know if I missed something important, hopefully we can move things
forward during this cycle.
--
Emilien Macchi