[openstack-dev] [tripleo] PTG session about All-In-One installer: recap & roadmap

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 19:57:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 at 13:53 Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:00 AM, Javier Pena <jpena at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Greeting folks,
> >>
> >> During the last PTG we spent time discussing some ideas around an
> All-In-One
> >> installer, using 100% of the TripleO bits to deploy a single node
> OpenStack
> >> very similar with what we have today with the containerized undercloud
> and
> >> what we also have with other tools like Packstack or Devstack.
> >>
> >> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-rocky-all-in-one
> >>

> > I'm really +1 to this. And as a Packstack developer, I'd love to see
> this as a
> > mid-term Packstack replacement. So let's dive into the details.
>
> Curious on this one actually, do you see a need for continued
> baremetal support? Today we support both baremetal and containers.
> Perhaps "support" is a strong word. We support both in terms of
> installation but only containers now have fully supported upgrades.
>
> The interfaces we have today still support baremetal and containers
> but there were some suggestions about getting rid of baremetal support
> and only having containers. If we were to remove baremetal support
> though, Could we keep the Packstack case intact by just using
> containers instead?
>
> Dan

Hey couple thoughts..
1.  I've added this topic to the RDO meeting tomorrow.
2.  Just a thought, the "elf owl" is the worlds smallest owl at least
according to the internets   Maybe the all in one could be nick named
tripleo elf?  Talon is cool too.
3.  From a CI perspective, I see this being very help with:
  a: faster run times generally, but especially for an upgrade tests.  It
may be possible to have upgrades gating tripleo projects again.
  b: enabling more packaging tests to be done with TripleO
  c: If developers dig it, we have a better chance at getting TripleO into
other project's check jobs / third party jobs where current requirements
and run times are prohibitive.
  d: Generally speaking replacing packstack / devstack in devel and CI
workflows  where it still exists.
  e: Improved utilization of our resources in RDO-Cloud

It would be interesting to me to see more design and a little more thought
into the potential use cases before we get far along.  Looks like there is
a good start to that here [2].
I'll add some comments with the potential use cases for CI.

/me is very happy to see this moving! Thanks all

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf_owl
[2]
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/547038/1/doc/source/install/advanced_deployment/all_in_one.rst