[openstack-dev] [k8s] OpenStack and Containers White Paper

Pete Birley pete at port.direct
Tue Apr 3 04:38:23 UTC 2018

Chris,

I'd be happy to help out where I can, mostly related to OSH and LOCI. One
thing we should make clear is that both of these projects are agnostic to
each other: we gate OSH with both LOCI and kolla images, and conversely
LOCI has uses far beyond just OSH.

Pete

On Monday, April 2, 2018, Chris Hoge <chris at openstack.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> In advance of the Vancouver Summit, I'm leading an effort to publish a
> community produced white-paper on OpenStack and container integrations.
> This has come out of a need to develop materials, both short and long
> form, to help explain how OpenStack interacts with container
> technologies across the entire stack, from infrastructure to
> application. The rough outline of the white-paper proposes an entire
> technology stack and discuss deployment and usage strategies at every
> level. The white-paper will focus on existing technologies, and how they
> are being used in production today across our community. Beginning at
> the hardware layer, we have the following outline (which may be inverted
> for clarity):
>
> * OpenStack Ironic for managing bare metal deployments.
> * Container-based deployment tools for installing and managing OpenStack
>    * Kolla containers and Kolla-Ansible
>    * Loci containers and OpenStack Helm
> * OpenStack-hosted APIs for managing container application
>   infrastructure.
>    * Magnum
>    * Zun
> * Community-driven integration of Kubernetes and OpenStack with K8s
>   Cloud Provider OpenStack
> * Projects that can stand alone in integrations with Kubernetes and
>   other cloud technology
>    * Cinder
>    * Neutron with Kuryr and Calico integrations
>    * Keystone authentication and authorization
>
> I'm looking for volunteers to help produce the content for these sections
> (and any others we may uncover to be useful) for presenting a complete
> picture of OpenStack and container integrations. If you're involved with
> one of these projects, or are using any of these tools in
> production, it would be fantastic to get your input in producing the
> appropriate section. We especially want real-world deployments to use as
> small case studies to inform the work.
>
> During the process of creating the white-paper, we will be working with a
> technical writer and the Foundation design team to produce a document that
> is consistent in voice, has accurate and informative graphics that
> can be used to illustrate the major points and themes of the white-paper,
> and that can be used as stand-alone media for conferences and
> presentations.
>
> Over the next week, I'll be reaching out to individuals and inviting them
> to collaborate. This is also a general invitation to collaborate, and if
> you'd like to help out with a section please reach out to me here, on the
> K8s #sig-openstack Slack channel, or at my work e-mail,
> chris at openstack.org.
> Starting next week, we'll work out a schedule for producing and delivering
> the white-paper by the Vancouver Summit. We are very short on time, so
> we will have to be focused to quickly produce high-quality content.
>
> Thanks in advance to everyone who participates in writing this
> [...]

[image: Port.direct] <https://port.direct>

Pete Birley / Director
pete at port.direct / +447446862551

*PORT.*DIRECT
United Kingdom
https://port.direct

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).
Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the
taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited.
E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they
can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates
with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. Port.direct is
not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any
responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion
and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.