[openstack-dev] [keystone] [keystoneauth] Debug data isn't sanitized - bug 1638978

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 13:48:42 UTC 2017

On 09/27/2017 06:38 AM, Bhor, Dinesh wrote:

> Hi Team,
>

> There are four solutions to fix the below bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystoneauth/+bug/1638978
>

> 1) Carry a copy of mask_password() method to keystoneauth from
> oslo_utils [1]:
>
> *Pros:*
>
> A. keystoneauth will use already tested and used version of mask_password.
>

> *Cons:*
>
> A. keystoneauth will have to keep the version of mask_password()
> method sync with oslo_utils version.
>
>      If there are any new "_SANITIZE_KEYS" added to oslo_utils
> mask_password then those should be added in keystoneauth mask_password
> also.
>
> B. Copying the "mask_password" will also require to copy its
> supporting code [2] which is huge.

I'm having flashbacks of the oslo-incubator days...

> [...]
>
> Please refer to POC sample here:
> http://paste.openstack.org/show/617093/
> <http://paste.openstack.org/show/617093/>
>
> OpenStack core services using any OpenStack individual python-*client
> (for e.g python-cinderclient used in nova service) will need to pass
> oslo_logger object during it’s
>
> initialization which will do the work of masking sensitive information.
>
> Note: In nova, oslo.logger object is not passed during cinder client
> initialization
> (https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/volume/cinder.py#L135-L141),
>

> In this case, sensitive information will not be masked as it isn’t
> using Oslo.logger.
>

> *Pros:*
>
> A) No changes required in oslo.logger or any OpenStack services if
> mask_password method is modified in oslo.utils.
>

> *Cons:*
>
> A) Every log message will be scanned for certain password fields
> degrading the performance.
>
> B) If consumer of keystoneauth doesn’t use oslo_logger, then the
> sensitive information will not be masked.
>
> C) Will need to make changes wherever applicable to the OpenStack core
> services to pass oslo.logger object during python-novaclient
> initialization.
>

> 4) Add mask_password formatter parameter in oslo_log:
>
> Add "mask_password" formatter to sanitize sensitive data and pass it
> as a keyword argument to the log statement.
>
> If the mask_password is set, then only the sensitive information will
> be masked at the time of logging.
>
> The log statement will look like below:
>

> logger.debug("'adminPass': 'Now you see me'"), mask_password=True)
>

> Please refer to the POC code here:
> http://paste.openstack.org/show/618019/
> <http://paste.openstack.org/show/618019/>
>

> *Pros:      *
>
> A) No changes required in oslo.logger or any OpenStack services if
> mask_password method is modified in oslo.utils.
>

> *Cons:*
>
> A) If consumer of keystoneauth doesn’t use oslo_logger, then the
> sensitive information will not be masked.
>
> B) If you forget to pass mask_password=True for logging messages where
> sensitive information is present, then those fields won't be masked
> with ***.
>
>      But this can be clearly documented as suggested by Morgan and Lance.
>
> C) This solution requires you to add a below check in keystoneauth to
> avoid from an exception being raised in case logger is pure python
> Logger as it
>
>       doesn’t accept mask_password keyword argument.
>

> if isinstance(logger, logging.Logger):
>
>     logger.debug(' '.join(string_parts))
>
> else:
>
>     logger.debug(' '.join(string_parts), mask_password=True)
>

> This check assumes that the logger instance will be oslo_log only if
> it is not of python default logging.Logger.
>
> Keystoneauth community is not ready to have any dependency on any
> oslo-* lib, so it seems this solution has low acceptance chances.

Options 2, 3, and 4 all require dependencies on oslo in order to work,
which is a non-starter according to Morgan's comment in the bug [0].
Options 3 and 4 will require a refactor to get keystoneauth to use
oslo.log (today it uses the logging module from Python's standard library).

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystoneauth/+bug/1700751/comments/3