[openstack-dev] [skip-level-upgrades][fast-forward-upgrades] PTG summary

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Thu Sep 28 09:47:26 UTC 2017

On 21-09-17 15:10:52, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Sean Dague wrote:
> > Agreed. We're already at 5 upgrade tags now?
> >
> > I think honestly we're going to need a picture to explain the
> > differences between them. Based on the confusion that kept seeming to
> > come during discussions at the PTG, I think we need to circle around and
> > figure out if there are different ways to explain this to have greater
> > clarity.
>
> In the TC/SWG room we reviewed the tags, and someone suggested that any
> tag that doesn't even have one project to apply it to should probably be
> removed.
>
> That would get us rid of 3 of them: supports-accessible-upgrade,
> supports-zero-downtime-upgrade, and supports-zero-impact-upgrade (+
> supports-api-interoperability which has had little support so far).
>
> They can always be resurrected when a project reaches new heights?

I've added some brief comments to the following change looking to remove
the `supports-accessible-upgrade` tag:

Remove assert:supports-accessible-upgrade tag
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/506263/

Grenade already verifies that some resources are accessible
once services are offline at the start of an upgrade[1][2] for a number
of projects such as nova[3] and cinder[4]. I think that's enough to keep
the tag around and to also associate any such project with this tag.

[1] https://github.com/openstack-dev/grenade#basic-flow
[2] https://github.com/openstack-dev/grenade/blob/03de9e0fc7f4fc50a00db5d547413e26cf0780dd/grenade.sh#L315-L317
[3] https://github.com/openstack-dev/grenade/blob/master/projects/60_nova/resources.sh#L134-L137
[4] https://github.com/openstack-dev/grenade/blob/master/projects/70_cinder/resources.sh#L230-L243

Lee
--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76