[openstack-dev] [ptg] Simplification in OpenStack

Rochelle Grober rochelle.grober at huawei.com
Wed Sep 27 02:13:38 UTC 2017

Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Jonathan Proulx's message of 2017-09-26 16:01:26 -0400:
> > On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 12:16:30PM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> >
> > :OpenStack is big. Big enough that a user will likely be fine with
> > learning :a new set of tools to manage it.
> >
> > New users in the startup sense of new, probably.
> >
> > People with entrenched environments, I doubt it.
> >

> Sorry no, I mean everyone who doesn't have an OpenStack already.
>
> It's nice and all, if you're a Puppet shop, to get to use the puppet modules.
> But it doesn't bring you any closer to the developers as a group. Maybe a few
> use Puppet, but most don't. And that means you are going to feel like
> OpenStack gets thrown over the wall at you once every
> 6 months.
>
> > But OpenStack is big. Big enough I think all the major config systems
> > are fairly well represented, so whether I'm right or wrong this
> > doesn't seem like an issue to me :)
> >

> They are. We've worked through it. But that doesn't mean potential users
> are getting our best solution or feeling well integrated into the community.
>
> > Having common targets (constellations, reference architectures,
> > whatever) so all the config systems build the same things (or a subset
> > or superset of the same things) seems like it would have benefits all
> > around.
> >

> It will. It's a good first step. But I'd like to see a world where developers are
> all well versed in how operators actually use OpenStack.

Hear, hear!  +1000  Take a developer to work during peak operations.

For Walmart, that would be Black Firday/Cyber Monday.
For schools, usually a few days into the new session.
For others....each has a time when things break more.  Having a developer experience what operators do to predict/avoid/recover/work around the normal state of operations would help each to understand the macro work flows.  Those are important, too.  Full stack includes Ops.

< Snark off />

--Rocky