[openstack-dev] patches for simple typo fixes

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Sep 25 13:52:28 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2017-09-25 09:42:08 -0400:
> On 09/25/2017 09:28 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> <snip>
> > I'm less concerned with the motivation of someone submitting the
> > patches than I am with their effect. Just like the situation we had
> > with the bug squash days a year or so ago, if we had a poorly timed
> > set of these trivial patches coming in at our feature freeze deadline,
> > it would be extremely disruptive. So to me the fact that we're
> > seeing them in large batches means we have people who are not fully
> > engaged with the community and don't understand the impact they're
> > having. My goal is to reach out and try to improve that engagement,
> > and try to help them become more fully constructive contributors.
>
> I think that quantifying how big that impact is would be good before
> deciding it needs to be a priority to act upon. There are lots of things
> that currently swamp our system, and on my back of the envelope math and
> spot checking on resources used, these really aren't a big concern.
>
> But it's harder to see that until we really start accounting for CI time
> by project / person, and what kinds of things really do consume the system.
>
>     -Sean

Yes, that will be part of the work of the new group looking into the
problem. The idea is to roll this specific problem up with a bunch of
other things related to new contributors so we have a group actively
thinking about better onboarding and engagement from a bunch of
different angles. Watch the SIG mailing list for details.

Doug