[openstack-dev] Garbage patches for simple typo fixes

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Sep 23 15:55:34 UTC 2017

To some extent, I think Zhipeng is right. There are times we as a
community have to do something beyond mentoring new developers. One of
the reasons behind these patches are from the management chain of those
companies. They need numbers, and they don't care what kind of
contributions were made. They don't bother read these emails.

Another fact is that some companies are doing such things not just in the
OpenStack community. Their developers are producing tons of low-quality
"patches" to play this as a game in other communities as well. If we
don't place a STOP sign, things will never get improved. By not doing
something, we are hurting everyone, including those developers who could
have done more meaningful contributions, though their number of patches
may decrease.

Just my 2 cents.

- Qiming