[openstack-dev] [devstack] Why do we apt-get install NEW files/debs/general at job time ?

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Sep 22 18:45:34 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017, at 08:58 AM, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> Another, more revolutionary (for good or ill) alternative would be to
> move gates to run Kolla instead of DevStack. We're working towards
> registry of images, and we support most of openstack services now. If
> we enable mixed installation (your service in devstack-ish way, others
> via Kolla), that should lower the amount of downloads quite
> dramatically (lots of it will be downloads from registry which will be
> mirrored/cached in every nodepool). Then all we really need is to
> support barebone image with docker and ansible installed and that's
> it.

Except that it very likely isn't going to use less bandwidth. We already
mirror most of these package repos so all transfers are local to the
nodepool cloud region. In total we seem to grab about 139MB of packages
for a neutron dvr multinode scenario job (146676348 bytes) on Ubuntu
Xenial. This is based off the package list compiled at
http://paste.openstack.org/raw/621753/ then asking apt-cache for the
package size for the latest version.

Kolla images on the other hand are in the multigigabyte range
http://tarballs.openstack.org/kolla/images/.

Clark