[openstack-dev] [devstack] Why do we apt-get install NEW files/debs/general at job time ?

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 15:58:29 UTC 2017

On 22 September 2017 at 07:31, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2017-09-22 15:04:43 +0200 (+0200), Attila Fazekas wrote:
>> "if DevStack gets custom images prepped to make its jobs
>> run faster, won't Triple-O, Kolla, et cetera want the same and where
>> do we draw that line?). "
>>
>> IMHO we can try to have only one big image per distribution,
>> where the packages are the union of the packages requested by all team,
>> minus the packages blacklisted by any team.
> [...]
>
> Until you realize that some projects want packages from UCA, from
> RDO, from EPEL, from third-party package repositories. Version
> conflicts mean they'll still spend time uninstalling the versions
> they don't want and downloading/installing the ones they do so we
> have to optimize for one particular set and make the rest
> second-class citizens in that scenario.
>
> Also, preinstalling packages means we _don't_ test that projects
> actually properly declare their system-level dependencies any
> longer. I don't know if anyone's concerned about that currently, but
> it used to be the case that we'd regularly add/break the package
> dependency declarations in DevStack because of running on images
> where the things it expected were preinstalled.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Another, more revolutionary (for good or ill) alternative would be to
move gates to run Kolla instead of DevStack. We're working towards
registry of images, and we support most of openstack services now. If
we enable mixed installation (your service in devstack-ish way, others
via Kolla), that should lower the amount of downloads quite
dramatically (lots of it will be downloads from registry which will be
mirrored/cached in every nodepool). Then all we really need is to
support barebone image with docker and ansible installed and that's
it.