[openstack-dev] Garbage patches for simple typo fixes

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 15:09:45 UTC 2017

On Sep 22, 2017 07:59, "Matt Riedemann" <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

On 9/22/2017 9:50 AM, Rajath Agasthya (rajagast) wrote:

> On 9/21/17, 10:19 PM, "Jeremy Freudberg" <jeremyfreudberg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> 3) Delay spin-up of resource-intensive/long-running CI jobs until after
> some
>      initial review has been added or time has passed. Authorized
>      contributors, not necessarily synonymous with cores, can override the
>      delay if there's a critical patch which needs to get through the queue
>      quickly.
>      +1. This is done in Go code review process, where CI is run by an
> explicit Run-TryBot+1
> review only after a core developer ascertains that the patch looks okay
> and most code
> review comments are addressed. This means no CI resource usage for every
> change and
> every single patchset. We could adopt a similar approach so that CI
> resources aren’t wasted
> for useless patches. This doesn’t take a whole lot of work for the
> reviewers than the current
> review process.
>
> https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/GerritAccess#trybot-access
> -may-start-trybots
>
> Thanks,
> Rajath

Figuring out what is useless or not is probably not worth the effort here.
We already skip long running tempest dsvm jobs in certain patches, like
with docs or unit test only changes. Updating a code comment in code isn't
going to catch that.

And it's perfectly valid to have useful single-line code changes (although
if it's a bug there should be a test too). Or multi-line changes that are
just adding comments to code.

Plus most people are probably not going to review something until CI has
voted on it anyway, at least when you have the number of open reviews that
some projects, like nova, has.

I agree. Reviewers already have a bunch of responsibilities on their plate
and this would be another one. I also imagine it would be tough to get used
to the absence of automatic testing after the default behavior for so long.

I'd personally opt to look for these types of patches instead of losing
automatic testing when patches are pushed.

So I think this is a non-starter.

Matt